Go Study with DuolinGo!!!

Why Not Duolingo??

Hi! Welcome to my blog!! Have you ever heard of the app called Duolingo?? To be honest, I'm a heavy user!! What's more, I have a one-year paid membership and am studying French every day!! I will tell you how marvellous this tool is! 



image by Ralphs_Fotos from Pixabay: https://pixabay.com/images/id-3129340

Duolingo is the world's most popular free language learning app. Today, learners can learn English in an enjoyable and exciting way. In this article, I'll show you how to use Duolingo to learn English!!

Here is the link:

Who is Duolingo for?
How can I learn?
Will it actually improve my English?

I hope this article will help answer some of these questions, and give you some feedback from my own experience using Duolingo.


What is Duolingo?
Duolingo is a language-learning application which is quite popular in Japan, at least most of my friends use this tool to learn Engilsh. It is basically free to use, but learners will see ads after every lesson, which can be annoying for some users. The system is based on gamification, so they start at a low level of difficulty, and as they gain experience, they can unlock more challenging lessons, which will surely boost their autonomy to learn English!!


Who is Duolingo For?
Duolingo is recommended for beginners and intermediate learners rather than advanced learners of English. Duolingo starts at the very beginning of English learning, at the level of "This is a pen". It is designed to help learners learn nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives and verbs in the same order as they would learn them in school.It is the best free learning app for improving your basic English skills in thier spare time!!

On the other hand, if they are looking to improve your practical English skills in the short term, Duolingo is not for them...

Who should not use Duolingo? 
People who want to achieve a high TOEIC or TOEFL score.
People who want to be able to speak business English. 

And also, learners may get bored because they have to solve the same questions over and over again.

How can I learn?
In Duolingo, they will be presented with lesson questions in the following five formats.

English selection questions
Japanese(changeable) translation questions
Listening questions
English composition questions
Speaking questions

I recommend the "Duolingo Stories" section. Learners will listen to real-life conversations, and during the course of the conversation they will be asked a series of multiple-choice questions to ensure that they understand the conversation. The conversations are so interesting that I listen to them repeatedly and memorise whole sentences, being aware of when to use them.


What's more...
Every time learners complete a lesson on Duolingo, they can earn XP points. These XP points are used to rank thier progress against other Duolingo users around the world. The purpose of the Duolingo ranking system is to motivate them to keep learning. Because the ranking is based on the people who started lessons at the same time, the ranking is very competitive, which motivates them to complete as many lessons as possible in order to improve their ranking.

They can also connect with friends who are using the app to encourage each other's achievements. Oops!! Now you know that I only have ONE Duolingo friend!! OH NO!! ...Will you be my Duolingo friend!? :)


YouTube 

I think this is one of the best YouTube videos which will help you to know how to use this tool. HAVE A LOOK!!
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/zcXG7XOp0pQ

How do you find this app so far? Hope you liked it!! Bye for now!!

Comments

  1. Oh Yuki, I love this post a lot. As you've been a user of the app, you already know the features very well. You've explained about the app smoothly and made suggestions for teachers/users. One of the strong points I can see is that you can gain points when learning a language through the app. Good idea that you're learning with other users who have started learning the language together- motivated! Thank you for the useful information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yukii, I am currently learning Spanish with it now! I wonder what membership is it? I thought this app is totally free except for attending live events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yuki,

    Great post...You covered almost everything about Duolingo....I tried it with Italian before, but stopped for some reason...Your post encouraged me to go through it again...One minor point, I think it is better to make the font of the posts the same. This post's font is different, am I right?!
    Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yuki,
    Thank you for the post.
    What I have noticed is that when you want to get started with Duolingo, it asks for another language you speak, yet a few languages are listed to choose from. Therefore, I am afraid, some people may not be able to benefit from it because their languages are not listed there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WebQuest is the Best!!

Free tools to improve teaching